2017 AGA Gemological Education Scholarship Program
About the Scholarship
- AGA defines a scholarship as a payment made to support a student's education.
- The scholarship is open to anyone who is interested and will be actively working in the field of gemology. No experience is necessary but a willingness to further their education in this field is a must.
- Scholarship monies will be paid directly to the teaching institution when the selected candidate confirms the educational opportunity in which they will participate. The monies must be dispersed within the allotted time frame and any unused portion will revert back to AGA.
- The type and amount of scholarship awarded are determined by the AGA Educational Scholarship and Research Grants Committee (ESRGC) as authorized by the AGA Board. In 2017, AGA will present one scholarship up to $5000 to be applied towards the tuition of a qualifying gemological course or workshop at an AGA recognized gemological training institute as determined by the AGA Board.
- Recipients have until the end of 2018 to complete the course, class, or workshop successfully.
- Scholarships DO NOT include travel, hotel or other associated expenses.
Who Can Apply
- The candidate should have minimum of high school or equivalent diploma and be acceptable by the AGA recognized gemological training institute.
- In case of international students from non-English speaking countries, individuals may be required to demonstrate English proficiency to the AGA recognized gemological training institute. If the program is offered in a language other than English, the participating institute will approve the applicant's level of education or language skill.
- The applicant should demonstrate a very good reason and willingness to work in the gem/jewelry business in their proposal.
- The applicant should demonstrate reliability and a professional attitude during the application process and in the final interview.
- The applicant is required to sign the application form acknowledging that failure to complete the program will require full reimbursement to AGA. Extraordinary circumstances will be evaluated by the AGA Board.
- The scholarship is open to anyone except ESRGC members or AGA board members and their family members.
How to Apply
- Submit a completed and signed application form via e-mail or regular post by the deadline.
- Providing a detailed proposal in the application form is a must.
- Provide three reference letters from industry professionals, employers or educational establishments to support your case with the application form.
- Confirmation of application receipt will be sent out via e-mail. If you do not receive an e-mail within the 14 business days of your submission, please contact Jan Giamanco via our website contact form.
- In 2017, applications will be accepted through August 31, 2017. Applications must be postmarked no later than August 31, 2017.
- It is the responsibility of the applicant to complete and submit the application by the deadline to be considered for a scholarship.
- The ESGRC will review all the applications as a first step. Qualifying candidates will be contacted via telephone or an e-mail.
- Qualifying candidates will be interviewed video conference for the final decision.
- The results will be posted on the AGA Website on or before October 15, 2017. (This scholarship must be used & the course completed prior to the end of 2018.)
- The recipients of the scholarship will be contacted by AGA on or before posting to the website.
- Upon completion of the course, a non-member recipient must complete an AGA membership application and will become an AGA member with application fees/dues waived for the current calendar year.
Complete scholarship document including application form...
Scholarship application form only...